Monday, November 10, 2008

Why I'm not Jordan (or Beckham, if you prefer)

A member of our local stroke group emailed me this health article. (Read it here.) It details how myelin works in the brain and how it begins to deteriorate as we get older. It speculates that perhaps Michael Jordan has more myelin than the average Joe. (OH! That's why the NBA never called me. . .I don't have enough myelin. . .)



The article has practical tips for improving brain health (although not a lot. . .). It also discusses the importance of omega-3 fatty acids in brain health. (It's at the bottom of the page. For some reason, Michael Jordan is discussed way more than actual health info. . .) You can read more about the health benefits of fish oil HERE (and more importantly, it contains lots of links to other articles/studies/sites, etc.).



I was always kinda skeptical of supplemental fish oils. . .I mean, gross. However, I am now taking them, and they're really no different than other kinds of supplements. They are very important for stroke survivors to consider, but as stated below, check with your doctor. You also want to evaluate your options in regards to the various brands of fish oil.



(I strongly encourage you to discuss your health options with your health professional before beginning any new regimen--supplements included!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy am I glad you are not Jordan OR Beckham! I like you just the way you are, and I especially like the disclaimer you put at the bottom of this post.